When it comes to acoustic guitars, few brands are as renowned as Washburn. The company has been producing high-quality instruments for over 130 years, and their commitment to craftsmanship is evident in every guitar they make. One of their most popular models is the D10S, which has been the number-one-selling acoustic guitar in the world. Washburn has taken that classic model and given it a sleek all-black makeover with the release of the D10SB.
The Washburn D10S acoustic guitar is superbly crafted with a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides for exceptional tone. A mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard make fretwork a breeze, while chrome Grover-style machines keep you perfectly tuned.
Overview of the Washburn D10SB acoustic guitar
The D10SB is a great addition to Washburn’s line of high-quality acoustic guitars. The D10SB is part of Washburn’s Heritage Series, which features guitars designed to be both high-quality and affordable. At first glance, you’ll notice that this guitar looks stunning thanks to its black buffed gloss finish on a dreadnought body shape. But what really sets it apart is its exceptional tone.
Who is the Washburn D10 SB for?
The Washburn D10 SB is ideal for beginners or experienced players who want an affordable, quality guitar with a distinctive look. With its dreadnought acoustic shape, it produces a rich, full-bodied sound that is perfect for strumming or fingerpicking. It is also versatile enough to play a variety of genres, from folk to rock to blues.
Smooth tuners & Limited lifetime warranty
One thing you don’t want when playing live or recording music is having your instrument slip out of tune frequently due to unreliable tuners. With chrome die-cast Grover-style machines on board keeping you perfectly tuned will not be an issue anymore! Additionally, Washburn stands behind their product with a limited lifetime warranty.
Sound and playability of the D10SB acoustic guitar
The Washburn D10SB produces a warm and full sound that’s balanced and versatile. The solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides contribute to its excellent tone, while the rosewood fingerboard and bridge enhance its playability. The frets are straight and even, and the guitar’s finish is free of defects.
Quality materials & craftsmanship
One of the most impressive things about the Washburn D10SB is its stunning appearance. The black buffed gloss finish gives it a sleek and elegant look that’s sure to catch everyone’s eye. The D10SB boasts a solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides for rich tones that are balanced across low, mid-range, and high frequencies. The mahogany neck complements these tonal qualities by providing excellent sustain while also making fretwork smooth thanks to its rosewood fingerboard.
Pros of the Washburn D10SB guitar
There are many reasons why musicians have made this guitar so popular worldwide:
- Quality craftsmanship – The D10SB is crafted with high-quality materials and excellent workmanship, which results in a reliable and durable guitar.
- Exceptional tone quality – The guitar produces a warm and full sound that’s balanced and versatile.
- Reliable tuners – The chrome die-cast Grover-style tuners are reliable and easy to use.
- Straight and even frets – The frets are straight and even, which makes playing easier and more comfortable.
- Sleek appearance – The all-black gloss finish gives it an elegant appearance that’s guaranteed to turn heads whether you’re playing live or recording music.
- Good value for the price – The Washburn D10SB is an affordable guitar that offers excellent value for the price.
Cons of the Washburn D10SB guitar
While the D10SB is an excellent guitar overall, there are some things to consider before making your purchase:
- String distance from frets – Some players may find that the strings are a little far from the frets, which can make certain chords more difficult to play.
- Glossy finish – While the glossy finish on the Washburn D10SB looks great, some owners have noted that they prefer a satin finish instead.
Features & technical specs of the D10sb guitar
The D10SB is a high-quality guitar that’s suitable for players of all skill levels. It features a dreadnought body shape, a solid spruce top, and mahogany back and sides. It has a 25-1/2 inch scale length, 20 frets, and a black buffed gloss finish.
The Washburn D10SB has several features that contribute to its excellent tone and playability. These include:
- Dreadnought body shape: This shape provides a balanced and versatile sound that’s suitable for a variety of playing styles.
- Solid spruce top: The solid spruce top contributes to the guitar’s warm and full sound.
- Mahogany back and sides: enhance the guitar’s midrange and low-end frequencies.
- Mahogany neck with truss rod: The mahogany neck is reinforced with a truss rod, which provides stability and allows for easy adjustments.
- Rosewood fingerboard and bridge: The rosewood fingerboard and bridge enhance the guitar’s playability and sustain.
- Black buffed gloss finish: The finish gives it a sleek and elegant appearance.
- Chrome die-cast Grover-style tuners: The tuners are reliable and easy to use, which helps keep the guitar in tune.
- 20 frets: The 20 frets provide plenty of room for playing both chords and lead lines.
- Rosette: New diamond inlaid marquetry.
- Neck scale: 25-1/2 in.
Tips for maximizing your experience with this guitar
If you decide to buy the Washburn D10SB, here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your new instrument:
- Experiment with different strings. While the D10SB comes with decent strings, you may find that a different brand or gauge of strings suits your playing style and preferences better. Don’t be afraid to try out different options to find the perfect fit for you. Some popular options include Elixir or D’addario strings which complement well with this model.
- Lower the action if needed. If you find the action on the D10SB to be too high, consider having it adjusted by a professional guitar technician. A luthier can adjust the action, intonation, and other factors that affect playability and tone, ensuring that your guitar is performing at its best. Alternatively, you can lower the action yourself by adjusting the truss rod or sanding down the saddle.
- Store your guitar properly. To keep your guitar in good condition, it’s important to store it in a case when not in use. This will protect it from dust, humidity, and temperature changes that can affect its sound and playability.
- Clean your guitar regularly: Regular cleaning can help keep your guitar looking and sounding great. Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe down the body and neck. Consider investing in a specialized guitar cleaning solution to keep your fretboard and strings in top condition.
- Avoid extreme temperatures and humidity levels. As with any wooden instrument, exposing your guitar to extreme temperatures or humidity levels can cause damage. Try to store it in a place where the temperature and humidity are consistent. And avoid leaving it in direct sunlight or near heating/cooling sources.
- Use a humidifier in dry environments. If you live in a particularly dry area, or if you’re traveling to a dry climate, consider using a guitar humidifier to prevent your guitar from drying out and becoming damaged.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that your guitar remains in great condition and provides you with years of enjoyment.
Where can you buy a Washburn D10SB nowadays?
Unfortunately, since the Washburn D10SB is no longer in production, it may be difficult to find it in a physical music store. Last time we check there were selling on eBay, check it out, you may be able to find used or pre-owned models. Just be sure to purchase from a reputable seller with good feedback ratings to ensure a smooth transaction.
Check what’s available now, perhaps you get lucky:
Video Review Washburn D10S and Playing Demo
Accessories for the Washburn D10SB
To enhance the playing experience with the D10SB, there are several accessories that you can consider purchasing. Some of the most popular accessories include:
- Guitar case or gig bag – To protect your guitar during transport or storage, a case or gig bag is a must-have accessory. Washburn offers a wide range of cases and bags that are specifically designed to fit the D10SB.
- Guitar strap – A strap allows you to play the guitar in a standing position, which is especially useful if you’re performing on stage. There are many different types of straps available, including leather, nylon, and woven fabrics.
- Picks – While you can certainly play the D10SB with your fingers, using a pick can give you more precision and control over your playing. Picks come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials, so you can experiment to find the one that works best for you.
- Guitar stand – If you don’t want to keep your guitar in its case or gig bag all the time, a stand is a great way to display it in your home or studio. There are many different types of guitar stands available, including wall-mounted, floor-standing, and collapsible options.
How does the D10SB compare to other guitars in its class?
The D10SB compares favourably to other acoustic guitars in its class, such as Yamaha FG720, Yamaha FG730S, and Fender CD100. However, while all four guitars feature a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides, the D10SB sets itself apart with its all-black buffed gloss finish and diamond inlaid marquetry rosette. When it comes to sound, the Washburn D10SB delivers a warmer and more balanced tone than the Yamaha FG720 and FG730S, which can be bright and trebly. The Fender CD100 has a similar sound to the D10SB, but lacks its unique aesthetics.
Final thoughts on the Washburn D10SB guitar
The Washburn D10SB is an excellent guitar that is well-suited for beginners and experienced players alike. It’s well-made, sounds great and has a sleek appearance that will turn heads! Its solid construction, quality materials, and superior craftsmanship ensure that it produces a beautiful tone that is warm, full, and balanced. Its unique all-black buffed gloss finish and diamond inlaid marquetry rosette make it stand out from other guitars in its class, while its chrome die-cast Grover-style tuners ensure that it stays in tune.
Overall, the D10SB is an exceptional value for money guitar that offers a great playing experience. It’s versatile enough to play a variety of genres, from folk to rock to blues, and is built to last for years to come. If you’re in the market for an affordable, quality acoustic guitar, the D10SB is definitely worth considering.