Gibson Larry Carlton ES-335 Guitar Review
a unique evenness and fatness that isn’t dark
As Larry Carlton has shown throughout his multi-faceted career as a first-call session guitarist and a successful recording artist, the ES-335 is the perfect guitar for any musical setting. The Gibson Larry Carlton ES-335 electric Guitar features all the personal specs of the man known as “Mr. ES-335,” from the custom neck profile to the “Carlton Burst” finish.
“It’s common knowledge that, by luck, my Es-335 sounds better than any we had ever heard in the ’70s,” says Carlton, “it has a unique evenness and fatness that isn’t dark. I made sure they copied it very closely.” As the guitar ace on over 3,000 studio dates, Larry prized his ES-335 for its amazing versatility for everything from light pop to hard bop. Custom heavy neck profile, Carlton Burst finish, and ’57 Classic humbuckers make it just like the master’s.
One of the unique features of this guitar is its laminated maple top, back, and rims, which give it a distinct tone. According to Carlton, his ES-335 has a unique evenness and fatness that isn’t dark. The guitar also features a bound 22-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearloid mini block inlays and single-ply cream binding on top and back.
The neck of the guitar is made from one piece of mahogany and features a 1960 Slim taper neck profile. The headstock has the “Gibson” and holly inlay and is equipped with MH Schaller M6 tuners. The guitar has a 24 3/4″ scale length and a 1 9/16″ nut width.
The Gibson Larry Carlton ES-335 is equipped with ’57 Classic humbucking pickups and has a 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way selector switch for tone control. The guitar comes in the Carlton Burst finish and includes a black levant case with a plush charcoal interior and a gold ‘Gibson’ silkscreen. The truss rod cover is engraved with “Mr. 335”.
Overall, the Gibson Larry Carlton ES-335 is a well-crafted guitar designed to meet the needs of any musician. With its unique tone, custom neck profile, and ’57 Classic humbucking pickups, this guitar is perfect for any musical setting.
Features and technical specifications:
Body & Hardware:
- Plain laminated maple top, back, and rims
- 16″ (W) x 20″ (L) x 1.75″ (D) body dimensions
- Single-ply cream binding on top and back
- Chrome hardware
- Nashville TOM bridge, Stopbar tailpiece
- Black speed knobs
Neck & Headstock:
- 1-piece mahogany neck
- 20 fret Rosewood fingerboard, width at 12th fret 1.992″
- Peghead Pitch: 17°
- Thickness at 1st fret: 0.825″
- Thickness at 12th fret: 0.970″
- Heel Length: 0.500″
- Neck Joint Location: 19th fret
- Headstock Inlay: “Gibson” and holly
- Pearloid block inlays
- Single-ply binding
- 1960 Slim taper neck profile
- 24 3/4″ scale length; 1 9/16″ nut width
- MH Schaller M6 tuners
Electronics & Strings:
- ’57 Classic humbucking pickups
- 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way selector switch
- Brite Wire .010-.046 Strings
- Carlton Burst
- Includes black levant case
- Exterior: Black smooth levant
- Interior: Plush Charcoal
- Silkscreen: Gold ‘Gibson’
- “Mr. 335” engraved truss rod cover